Anzeige

US-certified organic agricultural production sales increased by 23% in 2016

by Editor (comments: 0)

Organic sales in the US

According to data published by the US Department of Agriculture’s (USDA) National Agricultural Statistics Service (NASS), organic agricultural production sales continued to rise in 2016, as US farms produced and sold certified organic goods worth $7.6 bn. The 2016 Certified Organic Survey shows that last year, sales increased by 23% from $6.2 bn in 2015. Moreover, the number of certified organic farms in the US went up 11% to 14,217. In addition to that, the number of certified acres rose by 15% to 5.0 m.

Constituting 38% of the US total, California is the nation’s leader in certified organic sales with turnovers worth $2.9 bn. Further, California also had the largest amount of certified organic acres and farms. In 2016, three US-states had more than 1,000 farms: California (2,713), Wisconsin (1,276), and New York (1,059). However, 77% of US-certified organic sales are to be allotted to ten states of the country, which constitutes almost the same share as in 2015 and 2014.

56% of the sales of certified organic production accounted for crops. The other 44%, however, were made up by livestock, poultry, and the according products. A broad range of goods is encompassed by organic production, including livestock and poultry products, with turnovers of $2.2 bn; vegetables, $1.6 bn; fruits, tree nuts, and berries, $1.4 bn; livestock and poultry, $1.2 bn; and field crops, $763 m; in 2016. During last year, the top products were milk, eggs, broiler chickens, apples and lettuce as well as crops like strawberries, grapes, tomatoes, corn, potatoes, hay, spinach and mushrooms.

The 2016 Certified Organic Survey was conducted by NASS in conjunction with USDA’s Risk Management Agency (RMA). For more information please visit: www.nass.usda.gov/organics or https://quickstats.nass.usda.gov.


Stichworte:

North America

Statistics


Go back

Please comment the article




Subscribe to our newsletter

Order here
You will then receive twice a week a short overview of articles recently published by Organic-Market.Info.

worldwide / Europe

Biohandel-online.de

Here you can read the
current issue of 'BioHandel'


Anzeige

Anzeige